Chapter IX ~ An Open Door

 This journey was truly exhausting for his little wings, and so Faer had more on his plate than the solid intimidation he felt while in the presence of the Magistrate~ his most trusted's father, for one. However, the gentleness offered to his tiny form was something to be heavily grateful for. As this was not his typical form, being with someone who did not know him that well made him naturally skittish. Not as though he never was to begin with; mind as well be as mad as a hatter at this rate. His thoughts spread out often like melting butter… especially around those who have complexed emotions such as the Magistrate, for one. As fearful as he was in this feathery form, Faer had to keep himself focused, even though he wished very much to fly away often~ Quasimodo trusted him to bring them all to that one world that they found. In order to find safe haven from this now common enemy.

The Judge, as this man was used to be referred to, was far from how he used to be in earlier times… However, there was still an amount of scars over that pieced together heart of his that had seen trials, one after the other. Faer was frightened of the man, yet he trusted in the devotions he shared with he who rescued him. As of late, he was merely a songbird to Claude Frollo. Protected indeed, but would there be a price if anything else was different in this scenerio? One could not tell from far away. Yet this bond between father and son kept things in balance. All the more, because due to all this mysterious darkness as he interpreted it was causing the land to suffer in odd ways… Such as snowfall. It was never close to Winter and yet there came evenings of snowfall, and it was progressively becoming less gentle. They were so pretty to see but the chill the air prevented him from flying and wandering about.

It was no longer safe to do anymore, alas. If his true way were revealed to these people, Claude included, it would open to some problems. As if they were aching for anymore these days. The morning was coming short, and this Knight had brought his regal snow white hand close to the bird for him to perch atop of it. He did so, more so out of fear and this strange mutual respect. Frollo rose with him, and gladly away from that straw cage.

He gripped upon his forefinger with his awkardly tiny feet and had to flutter a bit to keep balance.

"Quasimodo's wings, you are - fly swift then." Frollo began ordering the bird. "Me and my men shall follow on until the second light. Do not stop unless you ail, Faer… I pray for your strength and valor. My son's trust is beyond measure. Go!"

At that, Faer was lifted high and shoved upward gracefully. At the motion, Faer flapped into the air. At once, the Knight and his horsemen were now well on their way, toward this unknown land.

As Bright as the Moon



Having that issue and near spat with the Seven minors, especially of that particular one, was never on his agenda on this journey, yet there was so much downtime to consider… so at least his weariness was staved off slightly. Frightening the geezer was something he never expected to do but it got his point justly across, for once. As amusing as it was, it hurt a bit to have had has spoils of war send a message for him. That disembodied marrow was nothing compared to what he truly had to witness; what his own home had to witness prior to falling. Tears were shed as blood was spilt, as he and his father led the survivors on for merely half a year thus far. Only then would be ordered to carry on to safer lands, temporarily taken of his scabberd, he was given a wooden arrow shot for the mere sake of hunting for his meals. Who knew which one would be his last~ accursed that a swan had caught his eye… specifically one that was not what it seemed.

Was it right to even try to speak with a Swan Maiden? Particularly a cursed one? From old pages of the libraries he had studied, scores and scores of creatures were read to clamber and gnaw at the chance of devouring human kind. Children, women to men at sea… It did not matter… Once it was thought in his father's mind that a spell had cast over them both by La Esmeralda herself years gone. Beauty somehow held a hidden secret, but it was never evil. Foolish he may have been to actually believe she was heavenly sent, directly from above but he was a youngling then. A dreamer, as he still was. He never lost sight of life's seemingly swift possibilities. Yet he was so much wiser for the wear. On this night, there might be some questions answered, and a blessing given perhaps?

There was only one way to find out.

It was not only the blessing that he needed at the time, but mutual respect always seemed to follow along during wretched times. As unwilling as that scowling one came to be, becoming eye to eye felt like the correct path to be on. Peace as a whole as long as it can be helped ~ however action proved more sensible than words. Ensuring that his spoils were well hidden to await for the Parisian arrival, Quasimodo began to make his journey towards the one place where he saw them, before the Dwarfs interference.

All was well but then when it came to his physical self, people often shuddered. It was nothing special to him anymore, but most of the time he had to use his voice to ease the nerves of others. These poor maidens had gone through much, so he had to be careful with any spoken word or slip of hand. That proved well with the Dwarfs; supposed protectors of these poor women… All of which had gone missing due to some wretched soul's desire for eternity by what he had heard well. The one who wore the spectacles, and had stuttered a mile a minute was the one who decided to lead him as soon as Quasimodo was ready to set off again.

"C-come-come with me, si-sire. Heed my words, n-now, as long as I can t-t-tick - lick it, hehe! Took me an age to get 'im to agree but we six, uh, we believe you. Just met ya, but we have faith… We struggled to keep them safe when it seemed that it was our fault that they were cursed in the first place. But we're all guarded by someone. It ain't just us…"

That intrigued Quasimodo more, narrowing his brow at Doc. "By who?" That spark of light that he saw after coming close to this land sprung back to mind.

"Who… wha-ma-maybe you know, sir… No one is ever let into this land unless they are birthed here… Then again, Miss Cass. She's a mystery herself."

"Miss Cass?"

"She is the one you saw change at the banks. The girl with the Diamond and our Voice for them, famed - named Jiminy. He came down from the sky supposedly. He speaks for them when they cannot for themselves. Oh, d-dear~ Follow me. There were two you've witnessed, when there are five others. Be mindful of the black winged one, but it's only because she is loyal…"

"I made a promise, didn't I?" Quasimodo's voice was light and smiling while gingerly treading through until Doc chose to no longer lead. "As far as I know, anyone from anywhere desires safety, security ~ understanding. Life would be that much simpler~"

Doc's eyes looked close to moistening at those words. "That — Y-yes. Yes. Heh, um~ just passed here, you might come upon them. Mind that they are a bit skittish…"

"I understand." Quasimodo reassured him while he neared the oak tree with Doc pressing off the other way. After a moment of relief, the two then parted ways. For now.

Time was the essence, for dawn could come as swift as a thief. As soon as he was certain he was alone, of a sort, Quasimodo pressed through the bushes and lush vines that seemed to hide away the view of the waters ahead. His stomach grew to tie up into knots as he quietly eased along, trying his best to pick up on a voice despite his dulled hearing. Whilst trying to undo any hint of doubt in this situation, he did ,as a matter of fact, began to hear voices. They sounded so soft and slight, he swore he could mistake them as windchimes for a second. As soon as he picked up on it, Quasimodo froze and simply eased low… Meanwhile, he could only listen.

"Just trust in this, m'lady~" spoke another male, by the sounds of it. "Once you all get away from here, this will lead to the possibility of being free again… All of us will be."

"Would this be in the matter of True Love or…?" came a woman's voice. It shook slightly, due to fear of the unknown. It was gentle but it felt heavy to listen to.

"Perhaps, perhaps not. Lady Blue had spoken of him, and we both had seen his face — through a dream and a prism. The path is clear as day, Cassandra. Please, do because dawn is quicker than quick sand." this male advised her, sounding somewhat tired but hopeful. He was being quite patient with this emotional woman.

"All-all right." the poor girl, deemed Cassandra, sighed deep and then there was silence between them. Quasimodo had as well and he closed his eyes tight in a deep prayer for this calling. Who knew what could come out of this, but souls were in deep need during this horrible war. Soon, after displaying a mark of determination, Quasimodo made the first move…

Casey had to keep her chin up, still wondering why there was reason for such specifics in this mission to freedom, entirely. She felt personally chosen, instead of the other swans who were just as equal, if not better than she was. The prospect felt ridiculous, that the Hunchback she recognized was an answer to their dilemma… but there was only one way to find out ~ which was to find him, directly.

A rustle in the trees brought her out of her thoughts, as Jiminy had situated himself someplace higher so to give them some privacy. Ida was near but only as a sentry for this moment, yet she was close enough to eavesdrop a bit. Casey turned quick in alarm as she heard someone approach. It was not any of the maidens, or the Dwarfs. Her throat ran dry when she saw that hump, that strong awkward swagger and lastly, those gentle eyes. Out of nerves, she brushed out and tamed over her hair as soon as she was sure it was him.

He, for one, stopped in his tracks upon seeing her, seeming unsure if opening his mouth was even wise. Seeing her now, no longer frightened of him was a little off putting for him, as if she was expecting him. Same as he was of her. Now the moment had come, and they had no words to share…

Quasimodo was able to see her entirely. A common girl, with deep brown hair over her shoulders, with deep chocolate brown eyes to match. They were broad over her fair face with a barely agape mouth of paled lips that were barely touched with color. She only wore a pink and white gown that looked tattered and thin. Her small frame looked cold… Yet her eyes were bright and full of life ~ as bright as the moon.

He made sure his hands were far from his belt, as if in surrender for her to rest assure that he was not here to harm, once again. Lightly, he took gentle steps into the clearing where she stood before the moonkissed lake.

"I never meant to frighten you," he told her. His words felt like flowing water to her ears and her shoulders slowly laxed. "I do beg for your forgiveness…"

"No, no - I," her voice stuck over her tongue like thick honey. "… I-I mean, there is nothing you've done." she said while studying him. He was keeping his distance, while her feet felt frozen where she stood. Jiminy was near and he looked down from the limb he stayed on, worry pasted over his face.

'Don't run, hon. Please, don't run…' he prayed for them.

"If-if I may, my lady… Perhaps I witnessed something I shouldn't, but… I thought I saw a pair of simple swans on the lake this evening." Quasimodo began, encouraging with his eyes. She was seeming less tense now. "I was simply looking for safer pastures. There is a great sorrow happening beyond those mountains."

Casey slowly rubbed her chilled shoulder as he took a satchel of his from his around his broad shoulders, settling it upon an old stump. "Y-yes, sir. It's why the Seven took us here. It's the only safe place to be while we try to find a way. We know, that you saw us…" she admitted to him.

She watched him take out a brown hood from the satchel before he faced her again. "Here — t-take it. It's a crisp night." he offered, holding it out for her to take for herself. With two shaky hands, she slowly took it with a smile.

"Thanks…" she whispered, honestly cold. She flourished the cloak around her and over her shoulders. It honestly felt so much better. Soon enough, she watched him take out a flint and stone from the same bag. With some spare tinder and parchment, he settled two pieces of wood over the cleared dirt before flicking a flame at the pile. As quick as an eye blink, he had made a small fire. Soon, she felt compelled to sit, feeling the warmth of the fire as he simply sat across. They were quiet for a time…

She heard him finally take a breath in, and looked up. "Indeed. I-I had seen." he told her. "The Seven were very adamant about me leaving as soon as I did."

"But, you chose to stay?" she asked, naturally curious. "…why?"

They locked eyes once again. "After seeing you, I realized why this land is not marked on any map."

At that, he unrolled a map from his belt. It was adorned with red ink of this single elongated continent with one end of it at East being left blank.

"Traveling for months as my people fled from the capital of France. I came upon a strange wall of quartz stone, as soon as I won over an enemy spy. I called it a sorrow because~" he broke off a little to fight off a tear, chuckling in embarrassment as he wiped a thumb over his warted eye. "… because, people have gone missing, people are dying because of them… This army is flowing through the world, created by a Necromancer's dark magic, and the only way to hinder them is by use of more dark magic in return. Yet even that isn't enough…"

Casey rubbed her cold hands as she listened to him, a mark of horror slowly etching in her eyes.

"… when I first s-saw you and the other swan, the moonlit water held an emerald hue as it rose and overtook you. As far as darkness goes, emerald is often associated with it." he pointed out. "… as for my meeting you, I was concerned right away. Whoever is initiating all of this misery, I wouldn't call our meeting a coincidence…"

"I am, one of seven other women…" Casey started. "I was a different story, but I'm finding it harder to remember. The others though were all kidnapped in Germania, to satiate the Queen's thirst for youth. The Dwarfs, they… they did everything they could to drive us out of there. They brought us here. I just trusted them, and we lingered for a while; two years actually. Somehow, the Queen turned us into swans when we didn't agree to her demand, and each night the others would be asked, and they always refused. I almost met the same fate, but was cursed the same way. Only under the moonlight are we allowed to take human form, for only a few hours at most. Condition being that we must be touching water as the light touches the lake. There's no choice in it. We are… we become so hypnotized that we are forced to touch the water each night. It's almost painful. The Dwarfs and the Fairy, they — The fairy gave me this Diamond. I was the only one she gave it to, and I still don't know why."

Quasimodo furrowed at her, staying as still as stone, gazing at the Diamond she showed that held a certain glimmer to it in the moonlight as she fiddled with it.

"She stated that it represents her presence. She is probably listening in right now. She stated that it was determined that we would meet. I-I mean, I did see you before ever seeing you watch us earlier. I saw that moment before in a dream… while the men, and Jim, they saw you as well in that quartz wall you ventured passed."

"That is exactly what the aged one told me…" Quasimodo slowly spoke, his eyes taking on a sharper glare. She tensely sighed and nodded at that.

Simple Rye Bread

"So, that's why I was so nervous. I really don't have much else to say, other than… here we are?" she shrugged, and he smiled at that.

"Moi aussi," he shrugged in return and they both had a little chuckle. Casey shyly bit down on her lip as she gazed to the grass. "I've only gotten a hint or two by your Guardians, truly… but perhaps we should begin anew by presenting ourselves, formally."

She giggled, and smiled at him. "Yes, I suppose we should. And make this any less awkward…"

"Touche~"

His tender laugh was just as warm as the fire's and she no longer needed to hold the cloak so tightly anymore. "I'm… My name is Casey. Short for Cassandra… for sarcastic reasons, the girls call me 'Ette, sometimes. Means rich."

" 'Ette, as in Odette, or Auda?" he curiosly prodded.

"Yes, the- I think. I just let them call me that. It's from where I claim to come from. I'm not common in this place, I hardly know what to do and I rely on them. But, it's been fuzzy remembering it lately. I guess it's not that important anymore."

Despite the growing concern at her claim of memory issues, he nodded. "Well, if it helps, I am about to say something completely corny, Cassandra, but I shall refrain. You may call me Quasimodo. Quasi, shortened in affectionate fashion by some. I am the adopted son of a reinstated Magistrate of Paris, and former bell ringer and forger of Notre Dame Cathedral. A graduate in Carpentry and Artistry, by trade… now demoted to Woodsman. Quite an unexpected turn, that."

She looked truly intrigued and amazed at his apparent experience and watched as he took something else from his satchel. It was an average half of a loaf of rye bread and a few apples as well. She was sensing a bit of charm coming from him, but how he naturally spoke to her so simply. It felt safe here all of a sudden ever since he was ever mentioned and seen. Her diamond thus glowed slightly, she noticed and indeed, it was all coming together here. It came to when he came closer to give her a share of the bread and apple, and she felt the need to decline.

"Oh, I-I can't take your food… Please~"

"Hey now, It's mine to give." he insisted as the bread was softly placed in her hand. "You must be famished, ma dame."

"Thank you. Quasi…" she smiled, with grace and thanks in her eyes. It was a look he shared with her and the first bite of just simple bread and fruit — nothing else ever tasted so good to her. She was starving as well. She gave a relieved hum after she swallowed it. "… so good."

His lips thinned in pity for her and she caught on to that. "Swans, we tend to either eat algae or a raw minnow on a good day but, bread and fruit is pretty rare for us."

"Yes. I can imagine… Hey," he whispered. "It won't be like this forever."

"Do you really think so?" she asked. "The others, they thought me foolish to believe that at one point."

"Curses take a toll on you, take it from me. Two years is… is quite the wait in this condition. It's close to isolation. Something I recall as being fairly exhausting. I felt compelled as soon as I came in this place. You are searching for a way, and… I want to help you."

She slowly swallowed another bite. "But, why?" she asked. "We're not that special compared to what's really happening out there. I mean~"

"… because why would a fae mention anything about me, by what you told me…? Followed by a dream that specified that moment, besides a vision your guardians had shared… It seems like there is hope here, no matter how strong this spell is over you, and over the land. This place seems quite aware as well. How can you question it?"

Casey felt her eyes grow warm and moist and she wiped them over her knees. Taking his words close to her heart, she began to notice something on the horizon. Jiminy, meanwhile, was sat above, sitting and sorrowfully had listened to the entire conversation since its start. His expression was littered with melancholic joy while he too had to bite back a smile and a tear to follow before he too noticed a change in the sky. Quasimodo was soon alerted as well when Casey looked alarmed.

"Oh god… Dawn is approaching," she choked back dread. They both gazed at the line of gold above the mountains beyond. The only help he could provide was taking her hand with a loving squeeze to calm her.

"Hey, hey… listen to me. My coming to you, is no coincidence, all right? My father is coming near here in about a day's time. You've been waiting for a way out, and I know we've only just met… I am asking you to explain to your flock about this."

"I will, Quasimodo."

Formalities

"As I wait for my winged companion, I will guard you and your flock just the same. I will bring this news to my father, Frollo."

"What if he won't agree?"

"If safe haven is all you desire, there can be an arrangement. If you are willing?" he asked her.

"I am. I will go to the others, I will tell them everything. Our Voice knows too." Casey said, glancing up to the trees where Jiminy hid. "He's our interpreter, so even during the day, we can talk."

"Blessed, a voice." Quasimodo smiled as his eyes searched above. Jiminy stood then when he was brought up, fixing his hat and tie, he made a move to leap back down.

Quasimodo caught onto the tiny form that hopped down with agility and had come close upon a stone near the two. He nearly mistook him as a shrunken little man, yet he hopped like a cricket. He was a little cricket. Casey neared on her knees and allowed the Cricket to hop into the palm of her hand. "… Jiminy,"

Quasimodo was personally fascinated by all this. So much had gone during this sleepless night, and now another new face. "… do pardon my curiosity, but are you a fae as well?" he asked the small gentleman after he took a bow.

"Gosh, you are too kind. But no, I am just an honest cricket. Jiminy H. Cricket, at your service."

"It is a pleasure, sir Jiminy. Quasimodo Frollo…" he bowed in return.

"Glad to make your acquaintence… and I shall speak for them when I say that this was fated night for us all. Apologies for being such an earwig," he chuckled. "… it seems that you two have gotten quite the rapport going on,"

"It seems like someone's looking out for all of us." Quasimodo warmly stated. Casey's cheeks naturally flushed.

"No doubt in my mind, good fellow…"

"How did you come upon this place?"

"Oh, uh, erm, on the back of a dove, if that's ridiculous enough…"

"That's not ridiculous at all, sir. This is so new, yet all of this feels like… home. This is a first time actually,"

"A first time for what?" Casey asked, not worrying of how bright the sky was becoming.

"… this is the first time no one has shuddered at my face." he admitted, appearing wistful.

Casey's smile lessened yet her eyes remained bright. "… there is no reason to shudder." Jiminy shared a look of agreement.

"Whoever had, they lack in understanding. We thank you for the truth you've told her. The fact that you stayed despite what you've seen here, is… It is so telling." Jiminy remarked. "For two years the Dwarfs had protected them, trying to seek a way… and then you've come here."

"The Blue Fairy was right," Casey sniffled. "It will be all right,"

"It will be, hon~"

"It will be…" Quasimodo's eyes seemed to change, becoming determined. "You'll see."

Thus, It Began~

There was Ida eventually, who mustered enough courage to step out to see for herself, of the heroic man who chose to step in due to fate's call. Seeing Quasimodo look behind, Casey and Jiminy then noticed her. The sky continued the brighten further but for once, it did not bother either of them. That ounce of dread Casey endured seemed to have melted away. Sighting her friend and fellow prisoner, Casey stood and went to take her hand to bring her to meet this Woodsman.

"This is Ida, the one who helped me out of the Queen's castle. The first swan I've met," Casey spoke for her after seeing that she was shying.

"Good morn, ma dame~" Quasimodo took her hand and bowed. It looked as though he kneeled.

"I knew our hearts rang true. I never doubted though some of us had… Now, more have come to us~ It's a pleasure to meet you, sir Quasimodo." Ida gladly let him take her hand. "I was merely a milk maid before everything happened."

"As life would serve, never go it alone, yes?" he asked her.

"Yes."

The morning was not giving any sort of mercy for them though. Soon, the time came when the moon's light was disappearing from the water. Smiles soon melted from their faces as the day was coming… The sun shown bright above the mountains, and something came over the waters at the banks. Casey and Ida, both of their faces seemed to change from hopeful to outright drawn to the water and the sun and two parted forcing Quasimodo and Jiminy to watch. Quasimodo looked horrified, while Jiminy's eyes filled with sorrow, as he could only watch the water supernaturally surround the girl like a shawl, and that emerald light and spark that alerted Quasimodo prior overtook the two once more. Their forms seemed to just vanish in one moment, but then the next, two white swans sprung out of the water as if to gasp for breath.

Witnessing this, a second time… this time, it was the opposite, Quasimodo shook his head at this as the two birds flapped their white wings and shook their heads as if in pain. One of which still wore that enchanted Diamond as though it were protected from vanishing, as it fit perfectly around and over Casey's breast. Quasimodo had to let a tear fall while these floated back toward them again, as soon as they came to. Jiminy sighed, pained but eased, finally looked up at the Woodsman.

"This is so terrible," Quasimodo brokenly remarked. "… against their will…"

"… against their will." Jiminy nodded to that. "And I, and the Seven, watch… It's becoming harder for them everyday. Something has come over Cassandra out of all them… She is finding harder and harder to remember where she came from."

"Where did she come from?"

"Entirely different then ours. She just fell from the sky one day, summoned by that heinous Germanian Queen. She had a black mirror in her bedroom, she told us. It only opened up and she fell through it. She had a life, and a father there. She was a teacher for the young, in school for herself. She never deserved this. None of them had. Ida lived a life on the farm, Eleonor learned Alchemy, there is a baker's daughter, and nobleman's daughter… This is entirely evil to throw upon the heads of innocents while a war is happening close by. We're trying our best… which is why we're glad that you've come in time. They were close to losing all hope."

"If-if she is forgetting her father…" Quasimodo slowly thought aloud, as a strange snow fall seemed to fall without any indication or warning. There were not enough clouds for snowfall, so it was quite odd. No… It was worrying. "… it is not mere coincidence." he stated, beginning to look angered.

Comments